Welcome to the website of the German IPBES Coordination Office!
Within the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES), the Federal Republic of Germany is represented by the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Nuclear Safety and Consumer Protection (BMUV), which acts as the National Focal Point. In April 2014, BMU, together with the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), established the German IPBES Coordination Office to support their work associated with the implementation of the IPBES activities. The German IPBES Coordination Office is located at the DLR Projektträger, in Bonn, Germany.
The German IPBES Coordination Office particularly performs the following functions:
- Supportive work for BMUV and BMBF, e.g.:
- Integration of German experts in the IPBES Work Programme
- National coordination of the international IPBES activities
- Cooperation with the international IPBES secretariat in Bonn
- Scientific advice to the Federal Ministries; identification of additional needs for research (also with external expertise), and capacity building
- Administrative and technical support to the experts nominated by the Federal Republic of Germany and selected by IPBES (authors and editors)
- Administrative and technical support to the national IPBES ad hoc expert committee for IPBES
- Inform the German scientific community about the IPBES work and associated relevant activities and procedures
- Regularly inform the public about ongoing IPBES activities, for example through German translations and summaries of IPBES publications
Through its work, the German IPBES Coordination Office promotes the integration of German expertise into the IPBES work process and also improves the information base for deliberations and the national decision-making processes related to the IPBES activities.
The German IPBES Coordination Office assists the development of innovative research and environmental policy opportunities that will enable visible and important contributions from Germany to safeguard and sustainably use biodiversity.
For more details visit our website in German language.
If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to contact us!